Student Records and Privacy

Educational Records

The University of the Incarnate Word maintains educational records for all current and former students who officially enrolled. Student records at the University are subject to the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended. Students have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning compliance issues. The name and address of the appropriate office is:

Family Policy Compliance Office

U.S. Department of Education

400 Maryland Avenue, SW

Washington, DC 20202-4605

Educational Records Fee

Upon matriculation, all students are charged a one-time educational records fee of $40.00 to cover administrative costs associated with the creation and maintenance of the students' educational record.

Educational Records on Campus

Educational records are those records directly related to a student for the purpose of recording the educational endeavor of the student. They do not include law enforcement or related conduct records, employment records, medical records, alumni records, or faculty advisor/instructor notes. Educational records may be stored in many media and are not limited to an individual file.

Educational Record Review

Students have the right to inspect and review their educational record. All requests must be in writing to the Registrar and must identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the students of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the University official to whom the request was submitted does not maintain the records, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed. The response from the University official will be within 45 days of the receipt of the request for access.

Educational Record Revision

The student may request an amendment to the educational record if they believe it is inaccurate or misleading. Note that grades assigned by faculty do not relate to the educational records amendments. The student should write to the Registrar to request the amendment. The request must clearly identify the portion of the record he/she wants changed, specifying why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the University does not amend the record as requested, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

Educational Record and Student Confidentiality

The University of the Incarnate Word will not disclose any personally identifiable information about students (except directory information listed below) without the written consent of the student.

Directory information at the University of the Incarnate Word has been identified as:

Student’s Name

Participation in officially recognized activitiesand sports


Telephone Listing

Weight and height of members of athletic teams

Electronic mail address


Degrees, honors, and awards received

Date and place of birth

Major field of study

Dates of attendance

Grade level

The most recent educational agency or institution attended

Each student has the right to restrict the release of any or all of this information by submitting a written request to the Registrar’s Office. School officials with legitimate educational interests may have access to educational records, without the students’ consent, if the record is needed in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities. School officials are identified as: a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position, a person or company with whom the University has contracted, a person serving on the Board of Trustees, or a student serving on an official committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.


Students may obtain a transcript of academic records from the Registrar’s Office after initiating a request through the "Transcript Requests" link online on the Registrar's Office web page. Online transcript request submission and fulfillment are managed by a third party. The University reserves the right to withhold transcripts from students who have not met all conditions for admission or who have outstanding financial obligations, whether the transcript is issued throughthe third party or by the Registrar's Office directly.

The typical turn-around time for responding to transcript requests submitted online is one to two business days. Same-day, in-person transcript fulfillment is also available. The fee for this serviceis $10.00. Same-day, in person service is not available during peak periods.

Refer to the Registrar Office webpage for more information about transcript processing.

Students should also note the following regarding transcripts:

UIW is not authorized andtherefore, is unable to issue copies of domestic transcripts or test scores received from other institutions to students or other institutions. Exceptions exist for academic documents issued by institutions/entities outside the United States. These exceptions will be handled on a case-by-case basis and are at the discretion of the Registrar's Office.

Official documents submitted to the University of the Incarnate Word become the property of the University and cannot be returned.  Students should contact the issuing institution forofficial copies of work completed before attending the University of the Incarnate Word.

Related Forms

Transcript Release Form

Transcript Request

Withhold Directory Information Form