Categories of Admission

Student Status Categories


Students applying for degree-seeking status at the master’s and doctoral level must fulfill the general requirements for admission to the University of the Incarnate Word and any special requirements for admission to a particular degree program. 


Students in good standing at a recognized graduate school who wish to enroll for a maximum of nine (9) credit hours and who plan to continue at the school of original admission may be admitted as transient graduate students. Students must fill out a formal application for admission and submit either a statement of good standing from the dean of the graduate school where they are enrolled or an official transcript. Enrolling in additional coursework beyond the nine (9) hours will require application for a change of status.

Non-Degree Seeking

If non-degree seeking, an applicant to graduate studies must submit:

  • Evidence of an earned Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher learning.
  • Official transcripts from each college or university previously attended. These transcripts must be mailed directly from the college or university to the Admissions Office.

Non-degree-seeking students may register for a cumulative total of no more than nine (9) credit hours of graduate coursework under the normal grading system. Students holding a master’s degree who do not wish to apply for admission as degree-seeking students may register for a cumulative total of no more than twelve (12) credit hours of graduate course work under the normal grading system. Non-degree seeking students are expected to conform to graduate standards of scholarship. In some cases, credit hours taken under a non-degree seeking status and under the normal grading system may be applied toward a degree if a student later gains admission to a graduate program. Such credits will be evaluated as though they were transfer credits from another institution and must be approved by the program director and the Director of Graduate Studies.

Non-degree seeking students may not be eligible for some forms of financial aid.

Change of Status From Non-Degree Seeking to Degree Seeking

To change status from non-degree seeking to degree seeking, the student must meet the requirements for admission to the program and submit an Application for Change of Status to the Advisor, Program Director, and the Director of Graduate Studies.

Apply to UIW