Health and Wellbeing

Health Services

Website: Health Services

The Primary Care Clinic provides health services that focus on primary prevention care, health education and counseling, care for illnesses and injuries, the maintenance of health records and assistance with the university insurance plan.

All members of the UIW community are encouraged to take responsibility for their body, mind, and spirit. The community is challenged to examine their own personal wellness plan. Support is given for changes resulting in continued improvement and growth. The smoking cessation program is available to the UIW community.

The University of the Incarnate Word University Police Department is the designated first responder to emergency and medical situations.

Emergency Response Protocol


The university recommends that all full-time students who live in on-campus housing and all F-1 International Students provide a health history and immunization records upon enrollment.

Recommended immunizations include a Tetanus-Diphtheria (Td), two Measles Mumps and Rubella (MMR) and a Polio series if less than 18 years of age. International students and those born outside of the United States are also required to have a Tuberculosis skin test (PPD), which is available in Health Services for a nominal fee. The results of the skin test must be within one year of starting at UIW. If the PPD is positive, then a chest X-ray within one year of admission is required.

Meningitis Vaccine Law

Effective October 1, 2013, a change to Texas State law (SB 62) mandates that all entering students under the age of 22 provide a certificate signed by a health care provider or an official immunization record verifying that a student has been vaccinated against bacterial meningitis, or has received a booster during the five years preceding admission to the University.

Entering students are defined as:

  • New or transfer students, and
  • Students who attended any institution of higher education and who are enrolling or re- enrolling following a break of at least one fall or spring semester.

Students who will be living in residence halls must provide documentation at least 10 days prior to move-in. If you are a commuter student, you must comply with this law in order to register.

Note: The vaccine must be received at least 10 days before the first day of the semester and is available through UIW Student Health Services, or from primary care physicians, local health departments, convenient care centers and many drugstores. Pricing will vary.

Please visit UIW’s detailed immunization requirements or the college vaccine requirements from the Texas Department of State Health Services.


A student, or a parent or a guardian of a student, is not required to submit evidence of receiving the vaccination against bacterial meningitis if the student, or parent or guardian of a student, submits to the institution:

  • An affidavit or a certificate signed by a physician duly licensed to practice medicine in the United States, in which it is stated that, in the physician’s opinion, the vaccination would be injurious to the health and well-being of the student; or
  • An affidavit signed by the student stating that the student declines the vaccination for bacterial meningitis for reasons of conscience, including religious belief. Students use the form, Affidavit Request for Exemption from Immunizations for Reasons of Conscience, from the Texas Department of State Health Services.
  • Students enrolled only in online courses or in classes at a distance education site are also exempt.

A detailed description of exemptions is available online at college vaccine requirements.

Additional information about meningitis is available from the National Meningitis Association, including information on

  • Symptoms and consequence of the disease;
  • How the disease is transmitted;
  • Available treatments for the disease;
  • Availability, effectiveness, and possible risks/side effects of the vaccine and treatments for the disease;
  • Sources of additional information regarding the disease.

Behavioral Health

Website: Counseling Services

The ever-challenging demands of growth, change, and the expanding horizons of learning are at times stressful, and often require an adjustment of attitudes and coping skills. Counseling Services is here to help you succeed! Our staff of professional counselors are dedicated to helping you reach your goals.

Counseling services are available to students enrolled at the University of the Incarnate Word and its affiliate high schools. Consultation services are available to faculty, staff, and administrators.

Health Insurance

Website: Health Insurance

All full-time Main Campus students (undergraduate 12 or more hours, graduate 6 or more hours, all professional programs, PhD programs 6 hours or more, 3 hours in dissertation) are automatically billed for health insurance through the university health insurance plan. International Students (full or part-time) are automatically billed for health insurance.

Insurance Waiver

If a student has his/her own private insurance, an Insurance WAIVER FORM must be submitted on-line to the Insurance Carrier prior to the last day to receive a 100% refund for the semester as established by the Academic Calendar.

Wellness Facilities

Website: Wellness Center

The University of the Incarnate Word Sports and Wellness department consists of the Richard and Janet Cervera Wellness Center, the Ann Barshop Natatorium and the Henrich Center for Fencing and International Sports as well as the intramural sport department and the club sport department. The mission of the UIW Sports and Wellness department is to enrich the lives of the UIW community through fitness, wellness, athletic participation and competition.

Current UIW Students, Faculty and Staff may use the UIW Sports and Wellness Facilities and attend UIW Sports and Wellness programs by presenting their valid UIW ID Card.


Center for Fencing and International Sports