Veteran Benefits

Degree programs described in this bulletin have been approved for benefits under the various laws commonly referred to as the GI Bill. Eligible veterans and dependents should contact the Center for Veterans Affairs for assistance in following established degree programs and the required forms and information to meet all Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) requirements regarding educational benefits. The Post 9-11 GI Bill and Vocational Rehabilitation Chapter will award eligible tuition and fees to the institution; all other chapters and benefits are paid directly to the student.

Students who obtain VA Educational Benefits are responsible for understanding the policies set by the VA regulations, which are monitored both by the VA and the Texas Veterans Commission, and for notifying the Center for Veterans Affairs of changes to their enrollment status. The Center for Veterans Affairs serves as a liaison between the VA and those students of the University of the Incarnate Word participating in a VA educational program. Because UIW is a private institution, we do not participate in the Hazelwood Act, an Exemptions for Texas Veterans program which may only be used at a Texas public institution

Certification Procedures

Official transcripts of all previous UIW credits must be on file and evaluated toward a specific degree objective before the enrollment can be certified. Only courses that are required for the selected degree objective will be certified for benefits. All students applying for veterans’ benefits must complete the University of the Incarnate Word Request Form for VA Enrollment Certification each semester. This form may be obtained from the Center for Veterans Affairs or online. Enrollment will be certified following registration for each semester. After initially registering for courses, it is the student’s responsibility to notify the Center for Veterans Affairs of any subsequent change in registration.

Standards of Progress for Receipt of Veterans Benefits

VA regulations require that a student receiving veterans educational benefits select an approved degree objective (degree program) and make satisfactory progress toward completion of that objective or risk the possible suspension of benefits. Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress according to the policies of the University of the Incarnate Word. When a student has failed to maintain prescribed standards of progress, the VA will be informed and benefits payments will be discontinued. In general, a cumulative 2.0 GPA is required for graduation. Students who earn a cumulative GPA of less than 2.0 will be placed on probation and given one semester to achieve the 2.0 requirement, and the VA will also be informed. Failure to obtain a cumulative 2.0 GPA at the end of the probationary semester will usually result in suspension of benefits.


Related Links

Start My Benefits