Leave and Withdrawal

Military Leave of Absence

A student who must interrupt study temporarily to fulfill a compulsory military obligation for a specific length of time will be granted a military leave of absence to fulfill that obligation. The student seeking a military leave of absence must provide the Office of Graduate Studies notification in writing that the student will be on leave due to military obligations pending documentation upon return.

Military Withdrawal

Graduate students with an approved military withdrawal shall receive a grade of W for all the courses they withdraw from, regardless of the “Final Date for Withdrawing with a W.” Students who wish to be re-enroll must submit the Graduate Application for Readmission/Reactivation through the Office of Admissions no less than two weeks before the semester begins.

Grades and Withdrawal

Students who are making successful progress in a course may request an Incomplete if they are nearing the end of the course and are unable to complete the course in the allotted time. Granting of an incomplete means that the student will have extra time to complete the course. Reasons for an incomplete can include illness, deployment or activation. Students who are unable to qualify for an Incomplete may ask to be withdrawn from a course when deployment or activation occur and the student cannot continue in the course.

Course Withdrawals and Tuition and Fee Adjustment

Once sufficient documentation is received, the University will work with the student to complete the necessary documents for course withdrawals and a full adjustment of all tuition and fees for the term. All financial aid funds, tuition assistance, and veteran education benefit payments will be returned to the agencies that provided them in accordance with all federal laws and regulations.

Military Service- Readmission/ Intent to Return

Students who withdrew from the University in good academic standing to perform military service (not including Texas National Guard Training exercises) will not have to re-qualify for admission and will be reactivated upon a request made within one year of being released from active military service.

The student must provide written notice through submission of the following form, Military Service Readmission/Reactivation, of his or her intent to return to the school within three years after the completion of the period of service. A student who is hospitalized or convalescing due to an illness or injury incurred or aggravated during the performance of service must notify the appropriate program representative within two years after the end of the period needed for recovery from the illness or injury. A student who fails to apply for readmission within these periods does not automatically forfeit eligibility for readmission, but it subject to the University’s general readmission policies.

The student will be admitted to with the same academic status. This status is defined as being admitted to the same program to which the student was last admitted or, if that exact program is no longer offered, the program that is most similar to that program, unless the student chooses a different program. The student will be readmitted at the same enrollment status, unless the student wants to re-enroll at a different enrollment status. The student will be enrolled with the same number of credit hours previously completed, unless the student is readmitted to a different program to which the completed credit hours are not transferable. The student will be readmitted with the same academic standing. The cumulative length of the absence and of all previous absences from the school for military service may not exceed five years. Only the time the student spends actually performing service is counted.

Related Forms

Leave of Absence Form

Withdrawal Form

Readmission Application