Student Complaints

The University of the Incarnate Word is committed to fostering a learning environment that promotes academic excellence and personal development. Students are encouraged to voice their complaints and concerns in a manner that is respectful of the dignity of the individual, if any, who is the subject of the complaint. It is the policy of UIW that students with complaints are treated honestly and fairly, and that their complaints are handled in a timely manner with regard to resolution of the issue(s) presented. Any UIW student may express a concern or complaint by following these procedures. Please note that UIW explicitly prohibits any member of the UIW community from harassing or retaliating against students who file complaints.

Student Complaint Guidelines

Complaints are most effectively and efficiently managed by first expressing them to the individual, if any, who is the subject of the complaint. Students are strongly encouraged to first discuss their complaint directly with any such individual involved.

For complaints on faculty decisions regarding student course work (grades) please see the Grades and Academic Standing section.

Academic Advisement/Academic Policies

Students who have complaints about academic advisement or other issues related to academic policies, procedures, or deadlines should contact the Director of Graduate Studies.

Administrative Department

If the complaint involves a policy, procedure, or area of responsibility of a specific administrative department, it should be directed to the supervisor or manager of that department. In each instance of a departmental complaint, the appropriate individual will investigate the complaint, seek a solution, and report back to the student in writing within ten (10) school days. The department supervisor or manager will keep a record of the decision.


Students who believe that they have been subjected to harassment or treated in a way that violates UIW’s anti-harassment policy (i.e., harassment related to an individual’s race, color, sex, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, citizenship status, or disability) by another student, a UIW employee, a contractor, or a visitor to the campus, should immediately report the alleged harassment to the Director of Human Resources located in the Administration Building, fourth floor or at 210-829-6019, or to the Dean of Campus Life, Student Engagement Center, Suite 3150, (210) 805-5863.  An online complaint form is also available: Report an Incident.

Sexual Misconduct, Sexual Harassment, Stalking and Relationship Violence Policy

In accordance with the Campus SaVE, Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), as amended, Title IX, the Clery Act, and other state and federal laws, the University of the Incarnate Word is committed to providing an environment that emphasizes the dignity and worth of every member of its community and that is free from sexual misconduct, including sex based discrimination; sexual harassment; sexual assault; sexual exploitation; stalking; relationship violence (including domestic and dating violence), and retaliation. The University of the Incarnate Word is committed to addressing and working towards preventing crimes of sexual violence. The university encourages the prompt reporting of any incidents.

For more detailed information, go to:

The university’s Title IX and Compliance Coordinator manages all concerns related to alleged violations of the University’s Sexual Misconduct Policy, including sex based discrimination; sexual harassment; sexual assault; sexual exploitation: stalking; relationship violence (including domestic and dating violence), and retaliation.

To report a complaint or incident of that nature, please go to and click on the “Report an Incident” button or contact:

Alexandria Salas

Title IX and Compliance Coordinator

Administration Building, Room 444


UIW Policies, Procedures or Personnel

Students who have a general complaint regarding UIW policies, procedures or personnel should contact the Director of Graduate Studies.

Violations of the Student Code of Conduct

Any member of the UIW community, including students, may file a complaint against any student for alleged violations of the UIW Student Code of Conduct by filing a report online at Report an Incident or by contacting the Dean of Campus Life, CPO 306, 4301 Broadway, San Antonio, TX 78209; 210-829-6034.

Mediation Services

Mediation is a process that attempts to establish communication between people having disputes and assists them in finding a mutually acceptable solution. The end result of a successful mediation is that there are neither winners nor losers, but rather, generally satisfied individuals who have arrived at an agreement, which resolves their dispute as they define it. Mediation is a confidential process. The agreements made by the parties involved are non-binding. UIW offers a mediation program designed to help all members of the UIW community resolve problems and disputes. Anyone may initiate mediation. To initiate mediation, contact the Counseling Center, CPO 35, 210-829-3129.

Student Government Association

Students may address various concerns and comments to the Executive Officers of the UIW Student Government Association (SGA). Concerns regarding specific matters related to clubs and organizations, university policies and practices, or ideas and suggestions for UIW administrative offices may be directed to SGA. Concerns are accepted verbally at their twice-monthly general assembly meetings, at SGA-sponsored student forums, or by addressing an SGA officer. Students may also share their concerns in writing by using the forms provided at SGA suggestion boxes located in each building on campus. Concerns directed to the SGA may be submitted anonymously. Concerns are subject to publication in the Logos, the UIW student newspaper. Officers at their regular meetings address student concerns with UIW administrators or in public forums. The concerns received are also compiled each semester by the SGA and priority issues are presented to the University Planning Commission for discussion and action, as needed. SGA Officers may be reached in the Student Government Office, Student Engagement Center, CPO 1210, 210-829-3833.


Related Forms

Report an Incident